An exception error prevents the game from continuing

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

fungiant
Krill Swarm

An exception error prevents the game from continuing

#1 Post by fungiant »

I get the error:

Code: Select all

main() caught exception(std::exception): SystemGraphics cannot be found due to invalid system ID -1
at turn 441. This is a big investment of time and I want to finish the game. At about turn 430, I got the same error and went about 8 turns back and redid them. As you can see, it only helped a little bit. I do not know what the error means nor how to correct it. I'm running on Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600). Using NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT; driver: nv4_disp.dll; version: 6.14.0012.7533; date: 5/24/11 @ 11:09:20pm. Attached are max 3 files. There are a lot of things happening in the game, so it would be hard to isolate an issue.
Attachments
config.xml
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
freeoriond.log
(181.82 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
freeorion.log
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by fungiant on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: An exception error prevents the game from continuing

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

fungiant wrote:main() caught exception(std::exception): SystemGraphics cannot be found due to invalid system ID -1
What version are you playing? v0.3.17?

Did you copy and paste that error, or retype it? The are known issues in v0.3.17 with errors about "SystemGraphIndex", but I have no idea where a "SystemGraphics" error would come from.

You could try removing techs from your research queue. I think there was a particular tech that caused this problem in some cases. If that doesn't work, try removing buildings from the production queue.

If that won't work, you might try installing the latest test release from here

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... rion/Test/

in a separate directory to v0.3.17, and then lauching that executable, and making sure the resource files directory is set to the v0.3.17 default directory. I'm not sure if that will work, but it might. After that, try loading the save and playing the game with the new executable but the old data files. It might work.

It probably won't work properly to just load the save in the new version using the new data files, as various techs and buildings and ship parts and such will have been removed, so your existing gamestate likely won't work properly in the new data files. There might still be issues with the old data files and the new executables, but probably there would be less than also using the new data files.

fungiant
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by fungiant »

I updated my original post. I got beyond a couple turns by not colonizing a certain planet. When I do colonize it, it crashes with a SystemGraphicIndex error as you mentioned. I'm going to skip colonizing that planet to see how far I get.

Thanks. How do I fix the issue, though? Do I need to upload the *.sav file?

A couple of turns later, I colonized 3 other planets and it crashed. It's not worth continuing if I cannot colonize.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

fungiant wrote:How do I fix the issue, though?
See my previous post for suggestions to try.

fungiant
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by fungiant »

I'm trying the latest test version - so far so good with colonizing. There are other differences, which are nice. Shows advancement of the game. :-)